Gold Tuna’s Secret to Restaurant Success: Putting People First
Discover the meaning of a 'People-Focused' restaurant versus a typical 'Food-Focused' eatery. We explore why Goldtuna strives to be a destination for connection, featuring real dining stories from our tuna omakase restaurant in Seoul.
The term "famous restaurant" usually starts with the food.
Great ingredients. Delicious taste. Expert preparation.
These are requirements any restaurant should naturally meet. However, Goldtuna looks at one more thing beyond that.
Who are the people sitting in front of that food?
This is why I have long used the term ‘Saram-Matjib’ (People-Focused Restaurant).
What is a People-Focused Restaurant?
When I say "People-Focused," I don't mean a restaurant where only famous people visit. I'm also not talking about a place that is simply crowded with people.
A People-Focused restaurant is
a place where people connect through the medium of good food,
and that meeting remains the true value of the meal.
It is the time when family and friends, the people preparing the food,
and those welcoming and assisting the guests all meet in the shared space of a single meal.
Therefore, my definition includes those you dine with, those who create the food, and those who serve you.
Why People-Focused Dining Tastes Better Than Just Food
This doesn't mean I view the quality of the food lightly.
On the contrary, the food is the foundation. Selecting premium ingredients like otoro and akami, preparing them properly, and serving them deliciously is the very first duty of a restaurant.
However, as time passes after a meal, the memory of who you were with often remains more vivid than the exact taste of the dish.
That's why I prioritize being a restaurant you want to revisit with important people rather than just a place evaluated for its food. This is the reason I emphasize a "People-Focused" philosophy over a simple "Food-Focused" one.
The 'Tuna Expert' and His People
Every Wednesday at 7 AM, I attend the BNI Breakfast Meeting at the Samjung Hotel.
Occasionally, I invite those I have known for a long time to Goldtuna for a private meal.
This was one of those special occasions.
In BNI, we call this a 1-to-1 Meeting. It is a time to understand each other's products and services, past achievements, the motivations behind our businesses, future goals, and necessary collaborations.
The goal is simple:
To better understand each other's business and find ways to support each other's growth.
The two people in the photo are individuals I have built a long relationship with through our weekly meetings. They are part of the "people" that make a restaurant truly special.
When dining with people like this, the menu itself isn't the most important thing. While enjoying Goldtuna’s premium sashimi is wonderful, even a simple savory pancake and a glass of Makgeolli would be just as delightful.
When you sit across from a good person, dignity and style are served at that table. To me, such a gathering is no different from a royal banquet.
A Scene Inspired by Edward Lee
Watching Chef Edward Lee on the now-legendary Netflix series 《Culinary Class Wars》, I found myself thinking:
‘I want to be friends with that person.’
To put it slightly boldly, ‘I wouldn't mind paying 1 million KRW for a meal prepared directly by him.’
It wasn't the price of the food I was calculating.
The person cooking became the very reason I wanted to experience that meal.
The Core Question for My Restaurant
Beyond the food, I always ask myself one question:
“Is this a place you would want to return to with someone precious?”
Being a "People-Focused" restaurant is not a separate menu item.
It is the standard by which we operate our business.
Goldtuna strives to be a People-Focused restaurant rather than just a Food-Focused one.
We prepare excellent food as a standard.
But more importantly, we are a restaurant where great people meet in front of that food.
That is the kind of place your "Tuna Expert" wants to build.
Goldtuna's "People-Focused" philosophy is applied to both the Bangi-dong and Sinsa-dong branches.
The Bangi-dong branch (Songpa) is a place where many gather for family, friends, and company dinners, often enjoying our unique "Jumakase" beer and soju mixing service by our famous "Somaek Auntie."
The Sinsa-dong branch (Gangnam) caters more to small, intimate gatherings like dates, anniversaries, and business meals where focused conversation is key.
The photos in this article were taken at Goldtuna Sinsa-dong Branch.
More Stories from Goldtuna
☞ Why Food Tastes Better with Happy People: Why Sinsa Branch Focuses on Connections
☞ Customer Review: "I came for the 'Somaek Auntie,' but the tuna is absolutely incredible."
☞ External Reference Links
Learn more about Chef Edward Lee from Netflix's Culinary Class Wars mentioned above.
댓글
댓글 쓰기